Sunday 16 December 2007

Geldof was one day late

'Tell me why I don't like Mondays?' Fuck that - would someone please tell me why I abominate Sundays?! It could be the residual religious dourness handed down over the generations, and which Nietzsche recognised (in Beyond Good and Evil) as a 'piece of English genius' - that is, if you make Sundays incredibly stifling, the worker is eager to get back to work. Perhaps my aversion is just biographical - I've never liked 'em. I actually prefer Mondays. Sundays is full of hopelessness and ; at least on a Monday my dread has dissolved. Late on Sunday night is the time when the private citizens peel themselves away from the privacy of their pursuits and prepare themselves for the return to the hive. It's like a bird migration. The return to work of millions of people who hate each other and dread their lives so much that they have no self-consideration, a self-loathing trait that is reiterated by having to internalise all of their joys and interests just as much as their frustrations and sense of outrage, is an artwork of the modern day. All acculturated leisure time revolves around keeping up morale, around that pop song or film that pats you warmly and empathically on the back and says 'Chin up, son, life is great when we're in this together' (decent film, actually). Morality, too, in a large part revolves around maintaining the morale of workers. Quote me on this - I'll return to it later. In researching this post, I came across this interesting, and inevitably American, campaign.

No comments: